Practice Report: WashougalSaturday, July 21, 2012 | 3:00 PM
It’s round eight of the 2012 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship here at scenic Washougal Motocross Park. The evergreens shadowing the track are looking pristine, and the track itself is prepared to perfection. The area has received some rain in the last several days, but not enough to make a mess of the track. The track crew has also been mixing sand into the soil in certain sections to help with moisture. Everything is lined up for a great day of racing in the Pacific Northwest.
Red Bull KTM’s Ryan Dungey is looking to continue the roll he’s on and wanting to build on his enormous lead in the 450 Class. He’s got a twelve-moto winning streak on the line, something MotoConcepts' Mike Alessi and Monster Kawasaki’s Jake Weimer would like to break.
In the 250 class, it’s Monster Pro Circuit’s Blake Baggett who has an 18-point lead in the class with GEICO Honda teammates Justin Barcia and Eli Tomac in chase, as well as Red Bull KTM’s Ken Roczen. These four riders have been the dominant quartet this summer and all of them will be going at it today at Washougal.
Marvin Musquin was the fastest 250 rider in practice
Carl Stone Photo
Making their return to racing today in the 250 Class is Rockstar Energy Drink Suzuki’s Martin Davalos and Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki’s Ivan Tedesco. Dodge Motorsports Hart & Huntington rider Josh Hill will also be racing a 450 today. Another additions to the 250 Class is Cole Thompson, who got picked up for a fill-in ride with Star Valli Rockstar Yamaha. Ryan Sipes will also be on a 250 today, mainly to fulfill sponsor agreements for Star Valli, whose squad of 250 riders has been decimated by injuries.
We may be on the other side of the country from the recent races but the practice times stayed mostly the same. Dungey set the pace with a faster second practice time and most riders had a better time when the track was formed. Dungey was six-tenths faster than Alessi and Honda Muscle Milk’s Tommy Hahn was third. Hahn had fast times in both practices and appears to be on point today. After Hahn came Jeff Ward Racing’s Josh Grant and Chaparral Honda’s Andrew Short.
- 5 Ryan Dungey KTM 450 SX-F 2:05.818
- 800 Mike Alessi Suzuki RMZ 450 2:07.322
- 32 Tommy Hahn Honda CRF450R 2:07.495
- 33 Josh Grant Kawasaki KX 450F 2:08.340
- 29 Andrew Short Honda CRF450R 2:08.400
- 48 Jimmy Albertson Suzuki RMZ 450 2:08.484
- 25 Broc Tickle Kawasaki KX 450F 2:08.939
- 11 Kyle Chisholm Kawasaki KX 450F 2:08.958
- 10 Justin Brayton Honda CRF450R 2:09.101
- 43 Christian Craig Honda CRF450R 2:09.114
Ryan Dungey topped the 450 field in qualifying
Carl Stone Photo
In the 250’s it Red Bull KTM’s Marvin Musquin and Baggett were the only riders in the 2:06’s. After that was Roczen, Barcia and Tomac. So it appears that the big four are, as usual, on it and it will be interesting to see if Musquin can get his first career podium in the 250 class.
- 38 Marvin Musquin KTM 250 SX-F 2:06.027
- 12 Blake Baggett Kawasaki KX 250F 2:06.446
- 70 Ken Roczen KTM 250 SX-F 2:07.054
- 20 Justin Barcia Honda CRF250R 2:08.073
- 17 Eli Tomac Honda CRF250R 2:08.251
- 58 William Hahn Honda CRF250R 2:08.491
- 44 Jason Anderson Suzuki RMZ 250 2:09.029
- 49 Justin Bogle Honda CRF250R 2:09.432
- 53 Ryan Sipes Yamaha YZ 250F 2:09.511
- 51 Travis Baker Honda CRF250R 2:10.037
For a complete list of practice times, go here.
Share this article:
Did you like this article?
Check out MOTO GIFT GUIDEin our Latest issue of Racer X available now.
Our annual gift guide has something (or maybe even a few somethings) for everyone on your holiday list. Page 146.