Australasian Super X Report: Dunedin,NZSunday, November 21, 2010 | 8:43 AM
By Andy McGechan
Dunedin's Carisbrook Stadium may well be famously known as "The House of Pain" by rugby followers in New Zealand, but now it's more likely to be dubbed "The House of Rain" by the supercross community after Saturday night's racing.
The conditions were wet and treacherous conditions at the fifth round of seven in the Monster Energy Australasian Super X series in Dunedin, in the South Island of New Zealand, on Saturday night, but Californian Josh Hansen showed his mastery in the slop to win both the 12-lap motos that made up the Double Header final.
Australia’s Matt Moss (Suzuki) was the night’s overall winner in the Lites (250cc) class.
Kawasaki’s Hansen took holeshots in both open class races, putting him further in front, now 46 points ahead of Australia’s Jay Marmont (Yamaha), in the overall championship standings.
Australian Tye Simmonds (KTM) claimed second in the first moto and third in the next open class race after a great battle with Suzuki’s Jake Moss.
Top Kiwi was Mount Maunganui’s Cody Cooper (Suzuki), who managed 5-6 results for fifth overall on the night.
Cooper had finished sixth overall at the only other round of the series he has contested, round four last weekend at Auckland’s North Harbour Stadium.
Christchurch rider Justin McDonald (Honda) finished seventh overall in Dunedin, followed by Mount Maunganui’s Mason Phillips (Kawasaki) in eighth.
"That was a scary one, especially with points," said Hansen afterwards.
"It was super wet, very muddy and a lot of lappers. Starts were really important and I had to be consistent and smart out there. It’s great to have the support I have behind me. Big thanks to everyone who has made it possible to be here and Troy Carroll from the Kawasaki Racing Team for all his help. This series is really cool and has been a lot of fun."
The first of two eight lap races in the Double Header final for the Lites was close with Matt Moss and fellow Suzuki rider Steven Clarke locked in combat, Clarke eventually taking the win on the second-last corner.
Championship leader PJ Larsen (KTM), of the United States, was third in that race.
Moss dominated the second final with Larsen second and Kawasaki’s Cody Mackie third.
Best performed Kiwi in the Lites class in Dunedin was Christchurch’s Craig Smith (Honda), who finished ninth and 10th in his two races, good enough for eighth overall on the night.
Larsen still leads the championship, but is now only four points ahead of Moss, with KTM’s Ryan Marmont in third, another 45 points further back.
The penultimate round of the seven-round championship will be held at Parramatta Stadium, Australia, this coming Saturday, November 27.
OPEN top 10 results – Round 5 of 7:
1. Josh HANSEN - Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki: 25,25 TOTAL: 50
2. Jake MOSS - Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 20,22 TOTAL 42
3. Tye SIMMONDS - JDR Motorex KTM: 22,20 TOTAL 42
4. Jay MARMONT - CDR Rockstar Yamaha: 18,18 TOTAL 36
5. Cody COOPER – Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 16,15 TOTAL 31
6. Todd WATERS – Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda: 14,13 TOTAL 27
7. Justin MCDONALD – Honda: 8,16 TOTAL 24
8. Mason PHILLIPS - Fly Team Green Kawasaki: 10,14 TOTAL 24
9. Daniel REARDON - Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor Racing: 13,11 TOTAL 24
10. Daniel McCOY - Coastal KTM Motorex Team: 9,12 TOTAL 21
OPEN top ten results – Top 10 championship standings
1. Josh HANSEN - Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki: 275
2. Jay MARMONT - CDR Rockstar Yamaha: 229
3. Jake MOSS - Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 194
4. Tye SIMMONDS - JDR Motorex KTM: 191
5. Daniel REARDON - Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor Racing: 162
6. Todd WATERS – Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda: 155
7. Daniel McCOY - Coastal KTM Motorex Team: 148
8. Mike ALESSI – JDR Motorex KTM: 127
9. Justin BRAYTON - Muscle Milk / Toyota JGRMX: 121
10. Lewis WOODS – Top Gear KTM: 112
LITES top 10 results – Round 5 of 7:
1. Matt MOSS - Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 22,25 TOTAL 47
2. Steven CLARKE - Raceline Pirelli Suzuki: 25,18 TOTAL 43
3. P J LARSEN - JDR Motorex KTM: 20,22 TOTAL 42
4. Cody MACKIE - Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning: 16,20 TOTAL 36
5. Luke ARBON - Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning: 15,15 TOTAL 30
6. Ford DALE – Serco Yamaha: 14,14 TOTAL 28
7. Ryan MARMONT - JDR Motorex KTM: 11,16 TOTAL 27
8. Craig SMITH – Timaru Honda Fly Racing Castrol: 12,11 TOTAL 23
9. Kade MOSIG – Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda: 18,0 TOTAL 18
10. Luke STYKE – GTYR Rockstar Yamaha: 7,9 TOTAL 16
LITES – Top 10 championship standings
1. P J LARSEN - JDR Motorex KTM: 252
2. Matt MOSS - Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 248
3. Ryan MARMONT - JDR Motorex KTM: 203
4. Cody MACKIE - Kawasaki Racing Team Cool Air Conditioning:172
5. Steven CLARKE - Raceline Pirelli Suzuki: 154
6. Lawson BOPPING - Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 142
7. Ford DALE – Serco Yamaha: 133
8. Josh CACHIA – Coastal KTM MX Rad: 125
9. Luke STYKE – GTYR Rockstar Yamaha:119
10. Robbie MARSHALL – Yamaha: 117
Share this article:
Did you like this article?
Check out MOTO GIFT GUIDEin our Latest issue of Racer X available now.
Our annual gift guide has something (or maybe even a few somethings) for everyone on your holiday list. Page 146.