The 2007 Honda CRF150RWednesday, September 6, 2006 | 3:34 PM
Remember back in the late ‘90s, when Yamaha shocked the entire motocross industry by introducing the YZ400F four-stroke? At the time, it was hard to fathom that in less than a decade, every professional racer on the starting gate of an AMA National would be on a four-stroke motorcycle. While Yamaha was the first to break ground with a competitive four-stroke motocross bike, Honda has taken the ball and run with it, and they’re now introducing the first competitive four-stroke minicycle—the 2007 CRF150R and CRF150R-Expert.
But before it can be a breakthrough, the AMA must tweak the AMA Sports rulebook, which currently has the limitations for four-strokes in the 85cc class set at 75cc-to-125cc.
AMA Sports’ Ryan Holliday added, “That’s one of the things which is going to come up at AMA Congress that we have to talk about; which is changing those displacement rules to fit that bike. I think the only thing that may happen this year is a limitation put on what classes this bike can be used in—like not letting (7-11) riders use it, or something like that. All of the manufacturers are going to be at congress this year. They know that Honda has it, and the other manufacturers will have it real soon, too. I don’t see any big problems with the bike, but it’s up to what congress decides.”
The 2006 AMA Congress meeting is October 5-7.
Take a look at some of these features and benefits of the brand-new CRF150R:
In keeping with the revolutionary CRF450R and CRF250R, Honda's new CRF150R and CRF150R-Expert four-stroke motocross machines are destined to redefine the small-displacement motocross category.
- Powerful four-stroke 149cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® engine produces impressive power across a wide rpm range for easy-to-control operation.
- Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompression and handlebar-mounted hot-start system provide easy starting, hot or cold.
- Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 43.6 pounds.
- Unicam valve train provides the light weight of a compact single-cam drive and the optimum combustion chamber shape for maximum power at all engine rpm.
- Unicam valve train features a carburized single camshaft that directly actuates two 26mm steel intake valves. The steel 22.5mm exhaust valves are actuated by twin, low-friction rocker arms.
- Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon steel with carburized main journals for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
- Forged 11.7:1 compression slipper piston and rings are lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes a big-end needle bearing for maximum high-rpm performance and durability.
- Nikasil cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler operation for extended engine life.
- Press-fitted aluminum spark plug pipe fits between the two exhaust rocker arms, further contributing to compact cylinder-head design.
- 32mm Keihin FCR carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
- Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) that helps maintain a linear throttle response throughout the range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates potential clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
- Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional design.
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless exhaust header and repackable aluminum muffler.
- Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared to conventional dual-radiator design.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. A six-disc clutch provides the surface area necessary to handle the engine's impressive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
- Durable five-speed close-ratio transmission.
- Front and rear suspension settings unique to the CRF150R deliver ideal bump absorption characteristics.
- All-new handlebar bend optimizes rider position and comfort.
- Lightweight, high-tensile steel frame with large-diameter frame tubing and cross-member provides excellent turning performance and straight-line tracking.
- Box-section aluminum swingarm is lightweight and rigid.
- Removable subframe is strong and durable.
- 37mm leading-axle inverted Showa cartridge front fork features friction-reducing design to improve compression and rebound control.
- The fork offers adjustable compression and rebound settings.
- Wide-section aluminum top and bottom triple-clamps position fork tubes far apart for good turning and control.
- Tapered-roller steering-head bearings for durability.
- Pro-Link® rear suspension system features a fully adjustable Showa shock for superb compliance and wheel control.
- Strong, lightweight wheels are durable and minimize unsprung weight.
- Lightweight front and rear disc brakes with high-performance pads offer powerful, precise braking.
- Stout 15mm front and 17mm rear axles incorporate a surface-treatment for added strength and durability.
- Large-capacity airbox and reusable two-stage foam air filter.
- Lightweight plastic body components (radiator shroud, sidecovers, rear fender, seat base, fuel tank, front fender and front number plate) offer a slim, aggressive style
- Seat cushion foam follows the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort.
- Non-slip seat cover for increased rider control.
- High-quality Dunlop tires.
- HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the separate rear master-cylinder reservoir and hose.
- Adjustable front brake lever and master-cylinder assembly are the same as CR®125R/CR250R components.
- Stainless steel clutch cable for long life and improved feel and action.
- Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include online access to the Honda Common Service Manual, six issues of the bimonthly Honda Red Rider™ magazine, travel discounts, trip routing, MSF reimbursement, plus access to the HRCA Web site (www.hrca.honda.com). Look for the HRCA support team at select off-road events across the country. For details on the HRCA, dealers should call (310) 783-3958, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Time.
Model: CRF150R-Expert / CRF150R
Engine Type: 149cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 66mm x 43.7mm
Compression Ratio: 11.7:1
Carburetion: Keihin 32mm flat slide with throttle position sensor (TPS)
Ignition: Solid-state CD with electronic advance
Transmission: Close-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #420 chain; 15T/56T / 15T/50T
Front: 37mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted Showa cartridge fork; 10.8 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link fully adjustable Showa single shock; 11.5 inches travel / 10.8 inches travel
Front: Single 220mm disc
Rear: Single 190mm disc
Front: 70/100-19 / 70/100-17
Rear: 90/100-16 / 90/100-14
Wheelbase: 50.6 inches / 49.6 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 27°48' / 27°02'
Trail: 96mm (3.85 inches) / 78mm (3.07 inches)
Seat Height: 34.1 inches / 32.8 inches
Ground Clearance: 13.2 inches / 11.9 inches
Dry Weight: 169.7 pounds / 165.3 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 1.14 gallons
Consult owner's manual for optional racing parts.