Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Abbott Rounds Out Hare and Hound Season in SecondTuesday, October 30, 2007 | 6:31 AM
IRVINE, Calif. (October 29, 2007) – Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Destry Abbott earned second-place at the final AMA National Hare and Hound race of the season in Lucerne Valley, Calif. Kawasaki grabbed four of the top 10 spots during the seventh round event.
At the end of the bomb start, Abbott found himself in fourth-place with the dust getting worse with every rider in front of him.
“When Destry came in for his first pit following the first 40-mile loop, the only thing he said to us was that the dust was really bad,” said Off-Road Supervisor Jason Smigel.
Going into the second loop, Abbott was running in fifth and ready to make up valuable time lost in the dust. Following the second loop, he was in second, about three minutes behind first place. He pitted and decided to play it safe for the third and final loop, finishing the day in second.
“The dust was so bad and I knew before the race that whoever got the start was going to have a great chance at winning,” said Abbott. “I really like the second loop and pushed it pretty hard to see if I could make up any time. I knew the last loop would be really hard to make up all the time I lost early, so I decided to play it safe and ride a good pace.
He added, “I felt really good and the bike was working great. I’m looking forward to next year and starting all over again. I know I’ll be ready.”
Abbott finished second overall in the final AMA National Hare and Hound championship points after a very consistent season.
For the most recent Kawasaki racing action, interviews and more visit www.kawasaki.com/racing
AMA National Hare & Hound
Lucerne Valley, Calif.
AMA National Hare & Hound Overall Results
1. Russell Pearson, Henderson, Nev., Yamaha
2. DESTRY ABBOTT, PEORIA, ARIZ., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI
3. David Kamo, New Plymouth, Idaho, KTM
4. Carl Maassberg, St. George, Utah, Yamaha
5. NICK BURSON, RIDGECREST, CALIF., KAWASAKI
6. BRIAN BROWN, TRABUCO CANYON, CALIF., KAWASAKI
7. Quinn Cody, Los Olivos, Calif., KTM
8. BRETT SAUNDERS, AGOURA HILLS, CALIF., KAWASAKI
9. Nick Blais, Chino, Calif., Honda
10. Chance Wyllie, Visalia, Calif., KTM
AMA National Hare & Hound Overall Points Standings
1. David Pearson, Las Vegas, Nev., KTM, 145
2. DESTRY ABBOTT, PEORIA, ARIZ., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 130
3. Russell Pearson, Henderson, Nev., Yamaha, 113
4. David Kamo, New Plymouth, Idaho, KTM, 85
5. Quinn Cody, Los Olivos, Calif., KTM, 85
6. Kendall Norman, Santa Barbara, Calif., Honda, 84
7. Carl Maassberg, St. George, Utah, Yamaha, 84
8. JOSH MORROS, SPARKS, NEV., MONSTER ENERGY KAWASAKI, 76
9. Matt Gosnell, Las Vegas, Nev., KTM, 60
10. BRIAN BROWN, TRABUCO CANYON, CALIF., KAWASAKI, 50
11. BRETT SAUNDERS, AGOURA HILLS, CALIF., KAWASAKI, 50